President’s Message – January 2019
My year as President has come and gone! It was eventful, full of learning, insight, challenges and growth. All that any new venture should be. And like the work we all do with our coaching clients it helped push me out of my comfort zone on more than one occasion and hopefully made me a better person and professional.
When I started my tenure as President I had a great base to build from with the strategic plan the Board worked so hard to establish in 2017. As I said at our January 14, 2019 AGM at the Derrick Club, it became clear that our aspirations sometimes (often?) exceeded our capacity. What that demonstrated to me is the passionate commitment each Board member brought to advancing our chosen profession and the commitment they shared to delivering value to our members and those we serve. That we have accomplished so much in the past year - and past several years - is a testament to the foundations laid by past leaders, members of the Edmonton Charter Chapter and by the particular efforts of this past year's Board of Directors. At the AGM I was excited to share some pretty impressive results that compare us favorably with coaching chapters throughout ICF Global:
- Our financial health continues on target to the goals we set out in our 2017 plan;
- Our membership renewal rate continues to exceed ICF Global targets - for the past several years we have approached or exceeded 90% renewal;
- Our membership overall continues to grow and we now sit at over 150 members;
- We continued to run a robust slate of CCEU eligible events, both in-person and virtual;
- We developed robust partnership efforts with the Calgary Chapter of ICF and engaged in a cross-Canada webinar series with coaching chapters across the country;
- For the 2nd year running we were able to have the Mayor issue a proclamation relating to International Coaching Week;
- We had our biggest ever event (defined by attendance) in International Coaching Week 2018;
- We continued our pro-bono/not-for-profit effort in 2018; and
- And we had the best media coverage/social media presence both for ICW and for our work throughout the year.
The theme that I had proposed and hoped would animate my presidential year of 2018 was "What if?". What if we could fill the Telus World of Science to capacity of our signature International Coaching Week event? What if we looked to further access the support and resources of ICF Global? What if we could enhance our media exposure and social media activity? What if we could engage EVERY member of the Edmonton Chapter in at least one event? By that attitude and philosophy we achieved much. And together we laid the foundation for the year (and years) to come. Did we achieve everything that I hoped we would? No, but we shot for the stars and hit the moon! We set aspirational goals and thereby helped us appreciate how much more is possible if we challenged our assumptions and limiting beliefs.
As I conclude this post and my term as President, I also take steps to renew my commitment to the coaching profession and the Edmonton Charter Chapter for 2019. Specifically:
- I look forward to supporting Kevin Tomkins, our President for 2018, and his Board as he looks to COnnect, COllaborate and CO-create with you;
- I look forward to building on the success of our International Coaching Week success of 2018 and thus build a bigger and better event for 2019 - May 2nd at Telus World of Science Edmonton! Mark your calendars;
- I have renewed my membership in ICF as of January 29, 2019;
- As part of my ICF renewal, I have identified the Edmonton Chapter as my chapter thus ensuring that we get financial support from ICF Global in 2019 - a portion of all membership fees comes back to my chosen chapter;
- As part of my ICF renewal,
I have also chosen to contribute to the ICF Foundation, which is expanding the boundaries
of coaching in the world through key focus areas:
- Cultivating frameworks for pro bono coaching;
- Engaging in and curating research for the multiplying effect of social progress through coaching; and
- Connecting training organizations and targeted populations for coaching scholarships.
Thank you for a great year. Let's make 2019 EXCEED our wildest expectations!